programming in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13061] programming in Mathematica
  • From: Oscar Stiffelman <ozzie at cs.stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 16:45:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am writing a package for Mathematica 3.0, and I am having trouble with
the parsing of quotation marks.  When I use Print statements, the
notebook cell evaluator doesn't seem to read the statements correctly.
It claims
that the containing function (not the Print function, but the one in
which it appears) is missing a closing parenthesis.  The solution, in
many cases, has been to delete one of the quotation marks and then
enter it again, or to delete the entire Print statement and enter it
again.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

func[x_] := (
doSomething;
Print["this is a debug message", someValue]; doSomethingElse;
returnValue
)

The error messsage would be something like: func has no closing ")"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman
ozzie at cs.stanford.edu