processing {x,y,z} data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13060] processing {x,y,z} data
  • From: sean_ross_at_pl-04m3 at smtpgw1.plk.af.mil
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 16:45:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

     I am in need of efficiently processing lists of {x,y,z} data and am

     finding severe roadblocks with almost every built-in function I can

     think of.  If anyone has figured work arounds for the following
     behaviors, I would appreciate your input.

     1-Interpolation.  It wants lists of data with a square number of
     points. This means it can interpolate a 100 element list(10x10),
but
     not a 90 element list(9x10).  I don't want to throw away or pad
data.

     2-ListPlot3D.  Only wants an array of z values and plots them
versus
     the array element number.  This means that unevenly spaced data
can't
     be plotted. I want to put in the {x,y,z} data points so that the
axes
     are correct.

     3-ListSurfacePlot3D.  The ViewPoint option is broken.  No matter
what
     viewpoint I select, it uses one that is more or less equivalent to
     ViewPoint->{whatever,whatever,0}.  I can't get the top-down
viewpoint.

     4-ScatterPlot3D-ViewPoint option is broken as in item #3.

     5-ContourPlot-Only wants an array of heights.  I can't give it the
     {x,y,z} coordinates.  This means that unevenly spaced data can't be

     plotted nor will the values on the axes be correct.

     The most severe limitation is with #1, the Interpolation function.

     Could I interpolate my data, I could convert it to any format
     required.

     Thanks for your help--Sean Ross

     P.S. I am using version 3.0.1 on a Win 95 pentium.