Re: Mathematica books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13186] Re: Mathematica books
  • From: Joel Cannon <cannon at alpha.centenary.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 07:42:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Anil Trivedi wrote:

> I would be grateful for pointers to mathematica books which start out
> with basics but move on to "advanced" material  quite fast. :) [I am
> new to mathematica and have been  disappointed with the books I have
> chanced into: they just remain elementary forever; a few seem to be
> into producing color graphics rather than solving any mathematical
> problem.]

I have found this newsgroup to be more helpful than most books.

I like Power Programming wiht Mathematica: The Kernal by David Wagner (I
also refer to R. Maeder, Programming Mathematica when stuck). I found
Wagner to have a good description of the structure of mathematica and
the different styles of programming which moved fairly quickly to some
more elegant applications. It will have less explictly related to
numerical solutions but it will turn out to be very useful for those.

I also found Gaylord/Wellin, Computer Simulations with Mathematica, to
be enlightening and fun.

Joel W. Cannon                 |   (318)869-5160          Dept. of
Physics               |   (318)869-5026  FAX    Centenary College of
Louisiana |       P. O. Box 41188		       |
Shreveport, LA 71134-1188      |