Fast help for circle problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13261] Fast help for circle problem
  • From: jmittag <jmittag at b7-01.bv.TU-Berlin.DE>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:17:53 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

We are looking for a solution for the following problem:

Given are 3 circles, each with center coordinates and radius. Circle 1
is touching circle 2 and circle 2 is touching circle 3 (without any
intersection). As a special case circle 1 is also touching circle 3.

We are looking for circle 4, which is touching circles 1 to 3.

The equation for one circle "i" is as follows:

(ri+r4)^2=(x4-xi)^2+(y4-yi)^2   with i = 1,2,3

We need a symbolic solution for x4, y4 and r4.

Thanks in advance!

Jens Mittag

email: Jens.Mittag at tu-berlin.de