PDF (not the format, the function).
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg13372] PDF (not the format, the function).
- From: Luis Fernando Medina <lmedina at leland.Stanford.EDU>
- Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 02:50:26 -0400
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
After a brief honeymoon with the ContinuousDistributions package, it has been happening to me quite often that Mathematica refuses to calculate probability density functions. Even more amazingly, sometimes it can calculate cumulative distributions but will still remain clueless when asked about the PDF. In those cases, if you ask PDF[dist,x], having previously defined the "dist" as, say, ExponentialDistribution, it will make the substitution for "dist" but will not calculate anything, simply returning PDF[ExponentialDistribution,x]. At the beginning I thought it was just a problem of the computer I was working in, but it has happened also in other systems as well. Has this happened to anybody else? What's going on here? Please, to avoid overflow of the newsgroup, answer to my email: lmedina at leland.stanford.edu Thanks! Luis Fernando Medina