Erroneous ImageSize?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13435] Erroneous ImageSize?
  • From: siegman at ee.stanford.edu (AES)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:33:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to display a couple of different GraphicsArrays of plots at
magnified sizes by using

   Show[GraphicsArray[{---}], ImageSize->{432,180}]

Increasing the numerical parameters in the ImageSize option definitely
increases the size of the plots; but 432 points -- which should be 6
inches, right? -- only gives me a *5 inch* wide plot, both on the
screen and on the paper.

That is, on screen, with Ruler and Show Page Breaks turned ON, if I
click on one of the figures the bounding box for the plot is only 5
inches wide, according to the Ruler.

And on the paper the actual printed figures are also smaller than 5" by
about the amount of margin between the bounding box and the actual
plots.

(Using just ImageSize->432 gives me a square bounding box, 5" both ways;
but since the GraphicsArrays have an overall aspect ratio more like
1/3, so the 180 vertical gives plenty of margin around them, top and
bottom.)

I don't knowingly have any magnifications or demagnifications turned on,
on the screen display or in the Page Setup or Print dialog boxes; they
all say 100%..

Mathematica 3.0, PowerPC 9600, OS 8.

siegman at ee.stanford.edu