tag Times protected??

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13419] tag Times protected??
  • From: Jordan Milev <jgmilev at>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:33:10 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am writing with an annoying behavior in Mathematica, which I hope has
a logical explanation.  I have found that sometimes when I write two
consecutive lines which display output, I get the message "tag Times

Say I write:

pe[j] = pate[[1]]
ph[j] = path[[1]]
peh[j] = pateh[[1]]

where pate, path, and pateh are lists.  So this is merely an assignment
exercise, but Mathematica somehow thinks that I've written instead:

pe[j] = pate[[1]]ph[j] = path[[1]]peh[j] = pateh[[1]]

i.e. I'm trying to multiply the three.  Of course, this is an error, so
Mathematica gives a warning message.  But, if I write the same
expression as:

pe[j] = pate[[1]];
ph[j] = path[[1]];
peh[j] = pateh[[1]];

the problem disappears, and Mathematica doesn't want to multiply the

Does anyone know why this is happening, or more importantly, how to
prevent this behavior?  I'd appreciate any help.