tag Times protected??
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg13419] tag Times protected??
- From: Jordan Milev <jgmilev at amherst.edu>
- Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:33:10 -0400
- Organization: Amherst College
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I am writing with an annoying behavior in Mathematica, which I hope has a logical explanation. I have found that sometimes when I write two consecutive lines which display output, I get the message "tag Times protected" Say I write: pe[j] = pate[] ph[j] = path[] peh[j] = pateh[] where pate, path, and pateh are lists. So this is merely an assignment exercise, but Mathematica somehow thinks that I've written instead: pe[j] = pate[]ph[j] = path[]peh[j] = pateh[] i.e. I'm trying to multiply the three. Of course, this is an error, so Mathematica gives a warning message. But, if I write the same expression as: pe[j] = pate[]; ph[j] = path[]; peh[j] = pateh[]; the problem disappears, and Mathematica doesn't want to multiply the three. Does anyone know why this is happening, or more importantly, how to prevent this behavior? I'd appreciate any help. Jordan