Re:Graphics bug in Mathematica (2)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13432] Re:Graphics bug in Mathematica (2)
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:33:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

>Andrzej Kozlowski wrote in message <6ourio$jft at>...
>>The bug (bugs) can be summarized like this: Dashing[] before a Point[]
>>will kill the point when using Show or Display["stdout",graphic]. Here
>>is a simple example:
>>If you evaluate it in either Mathematica 2 or 3 you will see that the
>>point is not drawn. Putting the Point before Dashing makes the point
>>display properly.

In my earlier posting on this I reported that the point was drawn on my
machine running
Windows 98 and Mathematica 3.0

I have re-run the test with Mm 3.0 on Windows 98 and this time the point
*did not* appear.

Here are tests with Mathematica 3.0 on Windows 98, Power Mac OS8 and
NeXTSEP 3.3 NeXTSTEP 3.3. seems not to have this problem.

PlotRange->All, Frame->True]]

Windows 98: point not displayed
Power Mac OS8: point not displayed
NeXTSTEP 3.3: point displayed

0,5},{0,2}}, Frame->True]]

(*it seems that Dashing + Line is needed to suppress the point*)

Windows 98: first and second points displayed *third point not
displayed* Power Mac OS8: first and second points displayed *third
point not displayed* NeXTSTEP 3.3: first and second points displayed
*third point displayed*

Allan Hayes
Training and Consulting
Leicester UK