Re: $BatchOutput

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13444] Re: $BatchOutput
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 01:45:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 23 Jul 1998, Tobias Oed wrote:

> 	I'd like to know how I can get mathematica ( 3.0 for HP-UX PA-RISC )
> in a state where $BatchOutput is True. Or is this only the case when
> mathematica is called to function in MathLink mode ? thanks Tobias

If you invoke the Mathematica kernel with the command line flag
"-batchoutput", this will set the session variable $BatchOutput to

Here is the contents of an input file for a batch operation:

AppendTo[$Echo, "stdout"]

Here is the command line invocation of the kernel:

math -batchoutput < infile > outfile

Here is the contents of outfile after execution:

" Cannot initialize Motif graphics "

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at Wolfram
Research, Inc.