installing new packages in mathematica

Hello!  I have an econometrics package written for Mathematica, which
I'd like to install on my system.  I'd like to be able to call it with
<< just as I do other add-on packages.  What is the best way to install
seamlessly such a package? Do I need to change any settings in
Mathematica initialization files so that Mathematica knows where to
look for it?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Jordan