  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13455] PlotPoints Question
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kevinmccann at home.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 01:45:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I wrote a routine the other day to display the points that Plot actually
uses. Much to my surprise, when I set PlotPoints to some number like 5,
I found that more than this number were actually used.

For example, try this

p1 = Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 2}, PlotPoints ->5, PlotRange ->All];

and then to

p1//FullForm

You will see that 19 points are actually used. Given all that, what does
the PlotPoints option really do?

Kevin