Re: Protection against some Front end problems and crashes

Barthelet, Luc (lucb at ea.com) wrote:

: As mentionned in a few messages recently it is not uncommon to make a
: mistake and then get a huge output to be generated. When that happens,
: one is either stuck for a long time or crashes.

[...]

: reallyBig[x_] := If[ByteCount[x] > 200000, "Too Large", x];
:   $Post = reallyBig;

: It will replace any "large" output by the string "Too Large". I cannot
: count how many times this saved me. Hope it helps you too.

[...]

However, a large plot of 10000 points will easily produce an output
greater than 200000, but it will be formatted as "- SurfaceGraphics -",
which is no problem to the frontend. Any suggestions for a way to only
print "Too Large" when the formatted form actually generates a huge
amount of data?

--
Best regards,

  Torben Winther Graversen