inputstreams

Hi all,

Using Mathematica version 2.2 on a Mac,

I am trying to work with groups of files, each ASCII, each 1 MB in size,
and have encountered a hidden barrier. I cannot open more than 17 files
at a time. This is not a matter of kernel memory or front end memory; I
am not in the stage of reading the data, merely opening the files as
InputStream objects.

Is there any way around this invisible 17-file barrier?

TIA!!!

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714
Voice:  (916) 389-2872
e-mail:  rustybel@foothill.net