Re: inputstreams

Russell Towle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Using Mathematica version 2.2 on a Mac,
>
> I am trying to work with groups of files, each ASCII, each 1 MB in size,
> and have encountered a hidden barrier. I cannot open more than 17 files
> at a time. This is not a matter of kernel memory or front end memory; I
> am not in the stage of reading the data, merely opening the files as
> InputStream objects.
>
> Is there any way around this invisible 17-file barrier?
>
> TIA!!!
>
> Russell Towle
> Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
> P.O. Box 141
> Dutch Flat, California 95714
> ------------------------------
> Voice:  (916) 389-2872
> e-mail:  rustybel@foothill.net
> ------------------------------

I hate to ask the obvious question:  Is there absolutely no other way of
doing your program than to have all those files open at once?

My second thought is that if you are using Mathematica 2.2, then you may
also be using Win 3.1 which is a shell on top of DOS and is subject to
the

files=xx

line in your config.sys.  This line specfies the maximum number of files
that can be open on your system.  There are many files open in a
Windows type environment even if you the user aren't running any
applications at the moment.
--
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.