Re: Re: Exporting Graphics

Tomas Garza wrote:

> Joel wrote:
>
> > Without question, Mathematica is the greatest thing since sliced bread
> > for doing modeling, data analysis and visualization.
>
> > For all of its capability, I'm finding that something as fundamental
> as
> > exporting graphics for use in other applications (e.g., Word
> documents)
> > is really a pain. Is there any way to get true WYSIWYG plots saved to
> > disk that can subsequently be imported into a non-Mathematica document
> > without loss of resolution, bizarre resizings, mysterious font
> > substitutions, etc.?
>
> If all you need is exporting your graph to a document in, say, Word,
> then you might try this: a) Select the cell where the graph is in your
>  notebook, b) Edit | Copy As | Bitmap, c) go to your document, place
> the  cursor where you want to place the graph, and d) Edit | Paste .
> You may  resize your graph in the notebook before doing this so as to
> have the  right size for your document layout. I have used this
> without any  problem, and it works all right. Unless, of course, you
> want very high  resolution for the end result, in which case you must
> use other method  of exporting (EPS or Illustrator, etc.), but then
> you would need  professional equipment.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Tomas Garza
> Mexico City

The problem with bitmaps (aside from the "jaggies") is their memory
requirement.  I just finished my dissertation.  Part way through, I
discovered that my Word file was approaching 40 Megabytes and Word was
having trouble with it due to all the bitmaps.  I replaced them with
windows metafile versions and the file size dropped in half. --
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.