Mathlink Buffer size

I'm using mathlink to call mathematica from a front-end that I've
written in C.  It works fine except when I send it long expressions. It
returns $Aborted and terminates evaluation.

Is there a buffer size associated with mathlink or is there some other
method (mlflush?) of making sure that entire expressions are
transfered?

Thanks in advance,
Kenny Hunt
hunt@cs.uiowa.edu