Changing fonts between environments

Hello,

I'm new to Mathematica but I have read the archives and not found a full
answer to this question, which is for version 3 on PowerMac.

I would like to be able to have Mathematica display my work according to
the 'default.nb' stylesheet, except that when I print I would like ALL
the styles to switch to using 'Times' font in italic as opposed to
whatever they use by default (generally 'Courier', except for the
headings, etc.). 'Default' stylesheet under

Style Definitions >
Style Environment Names >
Modification for all styles in style environment "Printout": Printout >

by adding the lines marked "*" to the expression of StyleData[ALL,
"Printout"] :

Cell[StyleData[ALL, "Printout"],
  PageWidth->PaperWidth,
  ScriptMinSize->5,
  FontSize->10,
  *FontFamily->"Times",
  *FontSlant->"Italic",
  PrivateFontOptions->{"FontType"->"Outline"}]

Now,as far as I can see in my tests, this works to make all the styles
italic when printed, but the font does not change. So my questions are:
why does it only work for the font style and not the font family? and
what do I need to do to achieve my goal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

S. Mapp
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research