Interpolation function objects

If I define

f= Interpolation[data]

Then I can Plot[f[x],{x,xmin,xmax}] etc and f behaves like a regular
function.

If I try and specify the argument in the definition of f as in

f[x_,n_Integer]:=Interpolation[data,InterpolationOrder->n]  or

f[#,n_Integer]:=Interpolation[data,InterpolationOrder->n]  or

f[x_]=Evaluate[Interpolation[data]][a]/.a->x  or

f[n_Integer]:=Interpolation[data,InterpolationOrder->n]

I get error messages.  I know the solution to this must deal with pure
function constructs or Hold attributes, but I don't seem to be able to
figure it out.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks.