Re: Help with fonts

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11731] Re: Help with fonts
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh@wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 03:08:59 -0500
On 21 Mar 1998, Giuseppe Erifanti wrote:

> In my Mathematica 3.0.1 (Win95) there is a problem with the fonts in the
> StyleSheets.
>
> The Family font is not inherited from the Style Sheet. When i change
> (for example) the font for the 'input' style in the 'default.nb' style
> sheet, none of the notebooks based on default change the font (they are
> ever 'Courier').
> Other features (color, size, slant, etc.) work fine!!

That's because the the front end doesn't use the Input style's prototype
for determining the font.  There is an option in the "Input" prototype
that reads:

	DefaultFormatType->DefaultInputFormatType

The DefaultInputFormatType value is determined by the cell option

	CommonDefaultFormatTypes->{"Input"->StandardForm, ...}

Because of this setting, all "Input" style cells by default draw their
font from the prototype for "StandardForm" (way at the bottom of the
style sheet).  Change the font there, and you should see the font
family change on Input style cells.

To be fair there are some warnings in the style sheet that are intended
to clue you in on this behavior

The explanatory paragraph for the Styles for Input/Output section
includes the following warning:

"Some attributes for these styles are actually set in FormatType Styles
(in the last section of this style sheet).

And in the FormatType Styles we read:

"The cells below define styles that are mixed in with the styles of most
cells.  If a cell's FormatType matches the name of one of the styles
defined below, then that style is applied between the cell's style and
its own options. This is particularly true of Input and Output."

Hope that helps.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh@wolfram.com Wolfram