Re: Re: Corrupted NB

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14583] Re: Re: Corrupted NB
  • From: sidles at u.washington.edu (John Sidles)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 01:50:56 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Joe Gwinn <gwinn at ma.ultranet.com> wrote:
>By the way, there is a simple trick I sometimes use oon apps that eat
>their prefs file -- manually make a backup copy, and/or manually
>write-lock the prefs file, so the app cannot write to its own prefs
>file.  Most apps will tolerate this, although I haven't tried it with
>Mathematica.
>Joe

I too was among the many people pagued by repetitive Mathematica 3.0
crashes on my Mac -- until I found the magic cure of write-locking
Mathematica's "init.m" file in my System Preferences folder.

This cured an incredibly irritating and recurrent problem where I had to
contact Mathematica about once per month to reset my digital time
stamp.

It also cured a problem (perhaps related) where Mathematica set the
default Image Bounding Box variables to illegal values, then stored
these values in the Preferences init.m file.  Once this happened,
crashes soon followed.

Nowadays, if I need to change global default values, I *temporarily*
unlock init.m, start Mathematica, change the values, then immediately
quit Mathematica, and relock init.m before continuing.

Problem solved!  Hope this helps people.  Maybe it will get fixed in
version 4.0.