Single character in Italics. Ervin Doyle;

Hello:
I recently purchased Mathematica 3.0.1. When I type a single character
like "a" it comes out in italics. However, when I type two or more
characters like "ad" or "abc" I get the characters in bold face. This
italic single character appears when I'm setting up equations like f
:= ... or g = ....Is there a reason for this? Do I have to use
double characters  in my definitions etc. to avoid the italics when  I
don't want them.
Thanks Ervin Doyle