Single character in Italics. Ervin Doyle;

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14664] Single character in Italics. Ervin Doyle;
  • From: "Ervin F. Doyle" <edoyle at top.monad.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 02:10:19 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello:
I recently purchased Mathematica 3.0.1. When I type a single character
like "a" it comes out in italics. However, when I type two or more
characters like "ad" or "abc" I get the characters in bold face. This
italic single character appears when I'm setting up equations like f
:= ... or g = ....Is there a reason for this? Do I have to use
double characters  in my definitions etc. to avoid the italics when  I
don't want them.
Thanks Ervin Doyle