Re: algebra problem, need help fast!!!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14676] Re: [mg14645] algebra problem, need help fast!!!
  • From: Ken Levasseur <Kenneth_Levasseur at>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 21:15:36 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

You should be able to get the subfields using AbstractAlgebra`, which is
available at
I am coauthor of these packages with Al Hibbard (Central College).  You
might also be able to do the same with the Standard package
FiniteFields.m, but I don't think that any of its functions identifies
subfields.   With out packages, there is no single function that
identifies subfields, but you could proceed as follows:

IrreduciblePolyOverZpQ[ x^5+x^2+1,2]  (* Verify that the polynomial is
irreducible *)
F=GF[2^5,IrreduciblePolynomial-> x^5+x^2+1] In[4]:=
G=GenerateGroupoid[{x},Multiplication[F],SizeLimit->31] In[5]:=

Since finite fields are cyclic, the subfields would be the subgroups
that you get from Out[5] that are closed with respect to addition
(other than sums that add to 0).  However, for the example you cite,
your answer is obvious from Out[5].  Your question for degree 4 or 6
(for example) yeilds more interesting results.

Ken Levasseur
UMass Lowell