Re: Multi-Variate Taylor Series Expansions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14732] Re: [mg14718] Multi-Variate Taylor Series Expansions
  • From: Carl Woll <carlw at>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:53:37 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Tom,

The Series function of Mathematica is intended to do multi-variate
Taylor expansions, but it doesn't work right. If you look at the web

you will find a way to augment the Series function to work better.

I don't like the method given above, since I like to create series by
adding O[x]^n to an expression, and the above method doesn't help here.
Instead, one could modify the SeriesData function as follows:

SeriesData /:
        SeriesData[a,b,c+z,d] /; a=!=e; Protect[SeriesData];

Then, in your example, I would do the following

(F[x+dx,t+dt] + O[dx]^3) + O[dt]^3

The parenthesis above are necessary. This method should also work for
your more complicated example.

Note that using either of the above approaches will drop terms that are
order O[dx]^3 or O[dt]^3, but not terms like dx^2 dt. Since your
example has these terms dropped, you may want to do something
different. Replace dx and dt by something like

dx -> a de
dt -> b de

and do a series expansion on de:

ser = (F[x+dx,t+dt]/.{dx->a de,dt->b de})+O[de]^3

and then fix things up by sending a and b back, as in

Good luck,

Carl Woll
Dept of Physics
U of Washington