Damaged Mathematic Systems Files, and Deleting Mathematica Caches?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg14749] Damaged Mathematic Systems Files, and Deleting Mathematica Caches?
- From: siegman at ee.stanford.edu (AES)
- Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 02:17:47 -0500
- Organization: Stanford University
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Running Mathematica 3.0 on a Power Mac 8600 OS 8.1, I occasionally get messages during operation saying that the file "UnicodeShiftJISFontMapping.tr", buried deep in Mathematica:System Files:Front End:Text Resources:, "could not be opened". Operation then continues OK. I suppose that I could reinstall this one file, but I note that it (and a lot of other Mathematica files) seem to be duplicated as .pbf in "Cache" folders inside the main Mathematica folder. Are these Cache files critical? Could they be corrupt? Could deleting the Cache files (a) free up any HD space, (b) force them to be regenerated?