Re: Linking Mathematica and Java

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14873] Re: Linking Mathematica and Java
  • From: tgayley at (Todd Gayley)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:11:52 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 20 Nov 1998 02:40:09 -0500, Richard Cooper <csubu at>

>Can anyone help me get Java to talk to Mathematica. I assume that they
>can be linked using JNI and MathLink. Has anybody written code to do
>Also, is it possible to do it in a platform independent way (as both
>Java and Mathematica are) with out having to use C/C++ as a wrapper
>around the MathLink calls?

I am in the middle of a major project linking Mathematica and Java via
MathLink. As you suspect, it uses JNI, and I cannot envision a way to
do it that doesn't involve some platform-specific code, as you need to
call the plaform-specific MathLink library at some point. My project
has only one platform-dependent component, a shared library that is
built from a single completely portable C file.

I will post a message to this group as the project nears completion.

--Todd Gayley