Linking Mathematica and Java

Hi

Can anyone help me get Java to talk to Mathematica. I assume that they
can be linked using JNI and MathLink. Has anybody written code to do
this?

Also, is it possible to do it in a platform independent way (as both
Java and Mathematica are) with out having to use C/C++ as a wrapper
around the MathLink calls?

Thanks,

Richard.