Re: HELP! I'm gonna go postal...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14910] Re: HELP! I'm gonna go postal...
  • From: "Todd K. Moyer" <moyer at teleport.nospam.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:48:30 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Peter,

In the way of encouragement I had a similar experience a few days ago. I
was not willing to go back and try to reproduce my work the hard way,
so I spent about 45 minutes looking at the .nb file, and comparing it
to good files that load okay. I can't recall specifically what I had to
do, but basically it involved using a text editor, and chopping out
parts that Mathematica did not like (in my case, there was a particular
cell that caused the problem; somehow it got corrupted while it was
being evaluated and I tried to stop it, and I stupidly decided to
save). I do remember that I had to paste on a "proper" ending to the
file using a good notebook.

If you look inside the .nb file, you can kind of tell that it is itself
made of Mathematica expressions, and you can probably figure out how to
patch it back up, if careful. You have to be very careful to get all
the brackets and braces to match up, or Mathematica will gag, and in my
case, open the notebook as a text file. There is also a warning in the
header to delete a reference to a Cache ID, which appears early in the
file; you'll undoubtedly see it inside the file.

Todd