  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14906] defining bounded variable?
  • From: Scott-o <sbw at rice.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:48:26 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,

I've got a really simple question... does anyone out there know how to
define a bounded variable in mathematica?  For example, I've got this
function for which I am trying to determine if the derivative is
positive, and two of the variables in the function are probablities and
thus bounded between 0 and 1.  Because I haven't bounded the
probability variables, the derivative is positive under some conditions
and negative under some conditions.  Is there any way I can tell
mathematica that these variables can only be between 0 and 1?

Please reply to sbw at rice.edu

Thanks,
Scott