Problem With AxesOrigin

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14920] Problem With AxesOrigin
  • From: Wretch <arc at astro.columbia.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:48:40 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello -- sometimes when I plot a function  Mathematica decides to put
the origin of the coordinate system in a spot where I don't want it.
The natural fix seems to be the option AxesOrigin.  For instance,

Plot[ugly[x],{x,a,b},AxesOrigin->{0,0}]

Simple enough.  However, there are times when Mathematica appears to be
trying to place the origin of the coordinate system where I want it,
but it doesn't print out the axis lines near the region of my origin of
choice.  It's as if it recognizes where I want the origin, but it
doesn't want to print out the axes in the normal manner.

It's hard to explain in words...here's a graphical illustration

Unwanted Origin = {1,1} (Mathematica's initial choice):

     (1,1)

When I use AxesOrigin->{0,0}

     (0,0)

Note how Mathematica curiously omits segments of the axis lines near the
origin of my choice.

Has anyone else out there experienced this?  How may I remedy it?

Thanks a million,

AC