Q: error in Mathematica Book formulae for surface area of ellipsoid?

I've not been successful calculating the surface area of an ellipsoid,
based on formulae given in the 3rd edition of the Mathematica Book (pg.
938). I have tried to verify that these formulae give value that
correspond to a sphere and spheroids (both oblate and prolate). The
values I get do not correspond to those I derive using other texts. For
example, Mathematica calculates a value for a sphere of only 2 Pi.

I believe the error is due to an incomplete definition for theta: the
expression given in the book has a trailing "/", which suggests to me
that something is missing. Can anyone confirm this error or give a
corrected expression?

Thanks.

Bill Christens-Barry