Question from venezuela

I am Hernan zuniga and I am graduate student in University of Los Andes,
Merida Venezuela. At the moment, I am working on my thesis. I am
developing a model for crystal growth by Using Mathematica. I am
familiar with CELLULAR AUTOMATA approach and I want to use it as I find
it very elegant and efficient way to handle this type of program. In
the developement process I stuck with the folowing problem.

       Now I am referring Moore . After satisfying MatchQ condition, the
central atom takes a new value. But I want the neighbouring sites also
should take a new value, e.g. if a central site say 1, is sourrounded
by 2 and 3; I want to see all of them changed simultaneously to a new
value sayb 4. Is there any elegant and fast way.

  update[a_,b_,c_,d_,1,f_,g_,h_,i_]:=4/;
        MatchQ[2,a|b|c]&&MatchQ[3,a|b|c];
  update[a_,b_,c_,d_,2,f_,g_,h_,i_]:=4/;
        MatchQ[4,a|b|c]&&MatchQ[3,a|b|c];
  update[a_,b_,c_,d_,3,f_,g_,h_,i_]:=4/;
        MatchQ[4,a|b|c]&&MatchQ[4,a|b|c];

I shall highly appreciate comments on it.

Looking forward to hear from friends of Mathgroup. Sinderely,

        Hernan Zuniga
        Facultad de Ingenieria,
        U.L.A.
        Merida, Venezuela.