Reading HDF files into Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14408] Reading HDF files into Mathematica?
  • From: jenningsj at (Jim Jennings)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:10:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am looking for a way to read HDF files into Mathematica.  I found
mathhdf v1.3 (a mathlink utility for reading & writing HDF files) on
the Wolfram web site, but have had no luck getting it to work.

Does anyone know a better way to read HDF files?

Perhaps someone can tell me what is wrong with mathhdf...

I notice mathhdf v1.3 dates back to 1993.  It was built with HDF and
3.2r3 and the mathlink from Mathematica 2.1; it was tested with
Mathematica 2.2.

I have Mathematica on a PowerMac 7100/80 running System 7.5.5.
The mathhdf application appears to be 68k only, but it launches ok
manually (I quit it before trying the next test).

The example notebook that comes with mathhdf says the external package
must be installed with:

Evaluating this line causes the mathhdf application to launch, but a
moment later it dies returning the following messages in the notebook:

LinkObject::"linkd":LinkObject("mathhdf", 2, 2) is closed; the
connection is dead."

I tried some other simple prebuilt mathlink examples from the mathlink
developers kit (that came on the Mathematica CD) & they work
fine; thus, mathlink itself seems to installed & working properly.

Has anyone got this to work?  Does mathhdf need to be updated for
Mathematica  Has anybody done this update?

I tried recompiling mathhdf to be PowerMac native & to use the newer
mathlink libraries, but that is a story for another post :-(

Jim Jennings                                 Research Associate
jenningsj at Bureau of Economic Geology      (512)
471-4364 (voice) University of Texas at Austin   (512) 471-0140 (fax)