Re: Importing Dos Data into Linux Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14479] Re: Importing Dos Data into Linux Mathematica?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 20:58:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 21 Oct 1998, Charles J. Koehler wrote:

> I am having a problem in trying to import data files that are in
> dos/ascii format.  There is generally a header of 7 rows and 6 col. of
> data. The columns are separated with commas. Each row of the data ends
> with a ^M character.
> I am able to read in the first row of data but nothing more.  I assume I
> need to strip of the ^M that is attached to the last columns of data?
> Does anyone have experience with this?  Your assistance would be
> appreicated.

Here is a Mathematica function that you can use to convert your files
from DOS text to Unix format:

DOSToUnix[filename_String] :=
  Module[{stmpin, stmpout, nextbyte}, stmpin = OpenRead[filename];
    stmpout = OpenTemporary[];
    While[(nextbyte = Read[stmpin, Byte]) =!= EndOfFile,
      If[nextbyte != 13, WriteString[stmpout,
    (DeleteFile[#[[2]]]; Apply[CopyFile, #]; DeleteFile[#[[1]]]) & [
      (Close /@ {stmpout, stmpin})]]

For larger files, you will probably want to use shell utility of some
sort to do the job.  Many Unix systems have a utility known as dos2unix
that does the same job as the code above.  If there isn't, you can get
a copy of a similar utility known as d2u from the Sunsite archive
mirrors.  The main site is:

but you should check the mirrors list to find a server closer to you.
The file is in the directory /pub/linux/utils/text, and the archive is
named d2u-1.3.tar.gz.  The author of the software notes that the source
code was written for Linux, but it should compile on any Unix compiler
that supports ANSI C.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at Wolfram
Research, Inc.