Re: beep after calculation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14562] Re: beep after calculation
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:07:32 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 29 Oct 1998, Alban Tsui wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make mathematica v3.0.0 and above to beep after
> a calculation? It was an option in the menu in earlier version but
> somehow it seems to disappear. It is very useful for doing a long
> calculation so that I can go away to do something else and the beep can
> signal the end of a calculation and save me from keeping going back to
> the screen and check.

This behavior is controlled by the option EvaluationCompletionAction.

To enable this setting for the front end in general, evaluate the
following command:

  SetOptions[$FrontEnd, EvaluationCompletionAction -> {"Beep"}]

If you just want it to apply to the current working notebook, evaluate
the following command in that notebook:

  SetOptions[SelectedNotebook, EvaluationCompletionAction -> {"Beep"}]

This option may also be modified using the front end Option Inspector
dialog with the scope indicator set to "global" or "notebook"

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at Wolfram
Research, Inc.