Union question

I'm trying to take a very long list of real numbers and use the Union
function on it to remove duplicates.  The problem is that the real
numbers that I consider to be the same, differ after their 12th decimal
place.  I have tried without sucess to use N and SetAccuracy functions
on each element of the list Before using the Union Function, but to no
Avail.  Is there any quick way to take a long list, and remove
duplicate elements by comparing only the first n significant digets of
each element.

Thanks,

Garrett Storaska