Re: warning for Round[Log/Log]
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg13940] Re: warning for Round[Log/Log]
- From: bruck at math.usc.edu (Ronald Bruck)
- Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 02:52:36 -0400
- Organization: University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In article <6ssvo6$m9r at smc.vnet.net>,
Wouter Meeussen <eu000949 at pophost.eunet.be> wrote:
>** this is not a bug report ***
> Windows 184.108.40.206.
[That Mathematica didn't have enough precision to compute Round[Log/Log]
Hmmm. Interesting. Since Log/Log = 1/2, Mathematica can't decide
whether to round up or down--it SHOULD apply round-to-even, to give
zero, but it's trying to do this with just numerical values.
As I recall, deciding when A == B is a profoundly difficult problem.
I'm not sure how else one could go about this. (Oh, sure, the
immediate problem could be fixed by applying a special rule for
logarithms, but what about special functions for which the relations
are still undiscovered?)
Prev by Date:
Re: Vectors (other problem)
Next by Date:
Re: MacOS vs. Windows PC for Mathematica?
Previous by thread:
warning for Round[Log/Log]
Next by thread:
Re: Re: warning for Round[Log/Log]