Re: MacOS vs. Windows PC for Mathematica?

In article <6sim6m$4ef at smc.vnet.net>,
Selwyn Hollis <shollis at peachnet.campus.mci.net> wrote:
:
:Don't forget that Mathematica was born and raised on the Macintosh.
:Mathematica for the PC is evidently still a ``port."
:
:Get yourself plenty of RAM and stick with the Mac. If you must go PC,
:run Linux.

Actually, I thought it was born and raised on the NeXT.  But that was an
infinitesimal market, and the Mac platform was their first really
popular one.

I have problems with the Linux version; but no one else who's running it
in Linux has been able to verify my problem.  When I want to edit a
line, I usually click at the point in the line where I want to insert a
character; occasionally, maybe 20% of the time, when I start typing
there, the characters are appended to the END of the line, Mathematica
beeps, and I get an error message (which I've forgotten).  I suspect
the #!%* PNP mouse.  Has anybody else seen this problem?  (It's easy to
get around; hit the right-arrow key, then the left-arrow key, and all
goes well.  But I use Mathematica on several platforms, and this is
distinctly annoying.)

--Ron Bruck