Q: efficient list operation wanted

I am looking for an efficient solution of the following problem:

Given two lists L1 = {1,2,3,4,5,3,7,2,3,9} and L2 = {a, b, c}

I want to replace all numbers 3 in L1 by the elements of L2
successively,
that is the first 3 by a, the second 3 by b and the third 3 by c. That
is I want to get the following modified L1-list: {1,2,a,4,5,b,7,2,c,9}.

Replace[] unfortunately replaces elements with a single element only. Is
there a chance to avoid hideous Do-Loops?

Any hints are appreciated!

PS. Remove XXX from my e-mail-address

K. Duellmann