RE: Help, I have Syntax Errors in almost all files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14056] RE: [mg14034] Help, I have Syntax Errors in almost all files
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 03:50:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Make a little notebook.  You might have to experiment with different
types of cells and so on.  You can then open the notebook with a text
editor, and see what a healthy notebooks contains.  Then you can open
the problem notebooks with a text editor, and compare it with the
healthy notebook.  If all the notebooks that give you trouble are large
you might have a big problem.

Also If you have regular or premier service you might email one of the
smaller problem notebooks to tech support.

Ted Ersek

______________________
Bill Wrote:

	What misery has befallen me, whoa is me.  I accidently deleted a
directory with quite a few notebooks in it.  No problem I thought, just
get out the trusty Norton undelete program.  It did work like a charm
and "recovered" all of my notebooks.  My problem now is that over half
of the notebooks that I open have syntax errors in them.
	The exact message that I get is "There was a syntax error in the file
being read.  This indicates that the file has become corrupted, or was
generated incorrectly......."  The next message that I get tells me
that there was a syntax error on line so and so and tells me that "the
error was a syntax error on line % Id in the file %s.  The error was
%s."  Is Mathematica telling me a specific error or referring to a
previous output?  Sometimes the file opens  with the affected part
highlighted.  But I don't know the syntax well enough to spot an error.

	I suspect that the recovery program probably inserted the same
character in all the files.  I think that if I poke around in them a
bit I can find something common to all,  but what to look for and more
importantly with what text editor?  I have about 60 files that I would
like to recover.  Any suggestions where I should start or what I ought
to be looking for?

Thanks for "listening" to me and even greater thanks for any help you
can offer.