ColorFunction in DensityPlot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14085] ColorFunction in DensityPlot
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <shollis at>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:25:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Let's say we're solving the heat equation on [0,1]x[0,1] numerically
with an initial temperature distribution with values in [0,1], and
we're displaying the solution with ListDensityPlot as it evolves over
time. How can one specify the ColorFunction option in ListDensityPlot
so that a temperature of 1 _always_ shows as red and a temperature of 0
always shows as blue (with green, yellow, orange in between)? In other
words, I need a fixed mapping between function values and color.

Dr. Selwyn Hollis
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Armstrong Atlantic State University
Savannah, GA 31419 USA