Cut and paste edits misaligned with screen image

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14084] Cut and paste edits misaligned with screen image
  • From: gwinn at ma.ultranet.com (Joe Gwinn)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:25:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have recently been observing some weird behaviour in Mathematica 3.0.1
for PowerPC under MacOS 8.1.  Everything else seems to work, although I
get weird error messages from time to time.

The problem appeared only a few months ago, long after the initial
installation of Mathematica 3.0.1.  Reinstalling Mathematica didn't
help, and no other application is afflicted.  It does not appear to be
a virus.

The behaviour is that when editing text on the screen, the edit happens
a few characters away (usually to the left) from the blinking edit
point bar.  One can in fact do editing with this behaviour, but it's
slow and error prone.  The oddity seems to be confined to the current
line, and I have never seen Mathematica become confused about which
line it's on.

Another odd behaviour that started at about the same time is that
Mathematica variables will get a tail, a hard space to the right.  This
space cannot be deleted, and interferes with editing because the
insertion point is usually off by a few characters.

These oddities affect editing, but seem otherwise harmless.  Sliding the
image offscreen and then back may fix the displayed line, but doesn't
affect the misalignment, once started.  Not all lines are affected.
Quitting Mathematica and re-launching seems to reset the problem, so
most lines are unaffected.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this, and how to fix it?

My suspicion is that some obscure option has somehow been set.

Joe Gwinn