RE: ListContourPlot sometimes leaves out requested contours

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14109] RE: [mg14051] ListContourPlot sometimes leaves out requested contours
  • From: Adalbert Hanszen <hsse at amath01.amath.zeiss.de>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:15:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Mathgroupers,

thanks to all, who have responded to my "silly" question  about left out
contours in ListContourPlot. The right answer was, to set
PlotRange->All instead of Automatic, to which it dafaults.
PlotRange->Automatic sometimes scales the plotrange such, that data,
which are present in the list, are suppressed. This also explains the
sometimes  strange behaviour, when one drops one line of input data,
and  a contour missing before, suddenly is drawn.

Someone has pointed out, that other plotting functions  might show
similar things, as they also use PlotRange->Automatic  by default.

As I don't want to step into the same trap again,  I have added the
following four lines to Init.m:

SetOptions[ListPlot,       PlotRange->All]; SetOptions[ListPlot3D,
PlotRange->All]; SetOptions[ListDensityPlot,PlotRange->All];
SetOptions[ListContourPlot,PlotRange->All];

Plotting functions for list data "know" the output range and
singularities are absent, this seems to make more sense than
Mathematica's defaults.

Thanks for your help!

Dipl-Math. Adalbert Hanszen <hsse at amath01.amath.zeiss.de>