Problem with WMF (nearly) solved

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14182] Problem with WMF (nearly) solved
  • From: Hans Staugaard Nielsen <hsn at mi.aau.dk>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:42:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I wrote:

> > I am trying to export the following graph as a windows metafile (WMF)
> >
> >   p1=Plot[{Sin[x],Sin[x+Sin[x]]},{x,0,2Pi},
> >           AspectRatio->Automatic,
> >           Ticks->{{0,\[Pi]/2,\[Pi],3\[Pi]/2,2\[Pi]},Automatic},
> >           TextStyle->{FontFamily->"Times",FontSize->10}
> >          ]
> >
> > (i) when using Copy as Metafile from the menu, the curves are of very
> > poor
> > quality (not smooth). Why?
> >
> > (ii) when using
> >
> >   Display["c:\\tmp\\graph.wmf",p1,"Metafile",
> >           ImageSize->{5*72,5*72*FullOptions[p1,AspectRatio]}
> >          ]
> >
> > the curves look fine but the fonts change into a sans serif font (like
> > Helvetica). Why?
> >
> > I hope someone knows the answers.
> >
> > Hans
> >
> > p.s.There could be typos i the code as i am writing from memory. p.p.s
> > My system is a P90 Win95 comp. running v3.0.1.1 student version ,and my
> > target programs are Word 97 and Scientific WorkPlace 3.0.
>
> Regarding (ii)
> I found out that using the build in picture editor in Word 97, I can see
> which font the offending text is set in. It turns out to be the font
> Utopia, which is far as I know is a sort of Postscript font, and not a
> true type font as it is supposed to be. So i seems like I have run into
> a font substitution problem, I have tried resetting to default,
> re-installing mathematica, and I tried changing the settings for font
> substitution in the object inspector, but with no result. Heelp!
>
> I also discovered that changing the line
>
>    TextStyle->{FontFamily->"Times",FontSize->10}

>    TextStyle->{FontFamily->"Times New Roman",FontSize->10}
>
> got me an error from psrender. I have a hunch that this is linked to the
> font substitution problem.
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.
>
> Hans

I finally fixed the problem. The WMF file asked for Utopia TTF, so i
downloaded a TTF editor
from the web (lots to be found), imported the Times New Roman TTF,
renamed it Utopia, saved it (calling it something other than Times New
Roman), and then installed the `new'  TTF.
And then, somewhat to my surprise, it works!

But. This still does not solve the problem of the poor quality of the
curves when doing a simple
cut and paste, a procedure much more convenient.

thanks for the help

Hans