Re: My System does not find the "help"-files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16843] Re: My System does not find the "help"-files
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 21:35:20 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, it was written:

> I have a question concerning the installation of Mathematica:
>
> The program is installed on "D:\program files\....".
>
> This creates a problem when using the Help Browser:
>   The browser opens correctely and I can choose in the menu whatever I
> want.
>   When I click on the "GoTo"-Button the error occurs:
>   It says: "Mathematica could not locate a help notebook.... (C:\Program
> Files\Wolfram....)"
>
> How can I change this?
>
> (I tried to use the "option Inspector",
>  but 1. I'm not sure that I found the right directory entry
>  and 2. I could not change the "SystemHelpPath". By the way: The
> $TopDirectory variable is fine. D:\....)
>
> Thank you very much for your help, (I'm quite helpless without "help")

It sounds as if the front end has lost its way regarding the location of
$TopDirectory.  The front end has its own setting for this variable
outside of what the kernel uses.  You can display it by pasting the
following expression into a notebook.

Cell[
  TextData[
    {"The value of front end $TopDirectory is ",
     ValueBox["$TopDirectory"]}
  ],
  "Text"
]

Click "Yes" on the resulting dialog box to force the front end to
interpret the expression.

The ValueBox[] will resolve to a FrontEnd`FileName object that should look
something like:

FrontEnd`FileName[{<drive letter>, <path element1>, ...},
  CharacterEncoding -> "WindowsANSI"]

If the <drive letter> is "C:" instead of "D:", you may want to do a
complete uninstall and reinstall of the software.  If this is an
inopportune thing to do because of projects that you may be working on, a
stopgap solution is to use SetOptions[] to tell the front end where to
look for the help files.  Here is an example of you might do this.

SetOptions[$FrontEnd,
  SystemHelpPath -> {
      FrontEnd`FileName[{"D:", "Program Files", "Wolfram Research",
          "Mathematica", "3.0"}, CharacterEncoding -> "WindowsANSI"]}]

Copying, pasting, and evaluating this expresssion is much easier than
plodding around the Option Inspector dialog.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.                  http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/