Dialog for selecting a file to be read

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17129] Dialog for selecting a file to be read
  • From: "Martin Rommel" <rommel at semitest.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 03:35:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I often load data files to be processed in Mathematica and it is quite
cumbersome that I have to explicitly specify the path and the
filename every time. I would rather pick from a list in a dialog window.

As far as I know there is no simple way to invoke the operating system's
file open dialog from Mathematica. Has anyone come up with a solution?

I can imagine that a small external program (maybe linked via mathlink or
called with <<"! ) can do the job.
Another possibility would be a fancy construct (maybe as a button) using the
Mathematica Commands FileNames[], SetDirectory[], etc.

If you know of anything related please let me know!

Cheers, Martin.