Re: Keyboard shortcut for switching between open notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17218] Re: Keyboard shortcut for switching between open notebooks
  • From: "David Bailey" <dave-bailey at freeuk.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 01:20:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Silvia Heubach wrote in message <7fp7tr$3hj at smc.vnet.net>...
>I have a seeing-impaired student in my introductory course on
>Mathematica. He operates mainly using the keyboard, and would like to
>find out whether there is a keyboard command that allows to cycle
>through the open notebooks (a la windows). Please send any answers to
>silvi at cinenet.net or sheubac at calstatela.edu

One way to do this is to alter the file MENUSETUP.TR in the Mathematica
directory structure (it is vital to make a backup first!) to add a new menu
item. This item should be set up using the & character to indicate the
Alt-key combination corresponding to the menu item.  The easiest thing is to
look at the existing menu
setup - say Edit->Copy, the Edit is stored in the menu structure as &Edit
and the Copy submenu is stored
as &Copy. This means that Alt-EC is a keyboard shortcut to this item.

Typically you will end up with an extra line in the Menusetup.tr file
looking something like this:

        Item["&Something",FrontEndExecute[MyCommand[]],
MenuEvaluator->Automatic],

Now all you need to do is provide the command MyCommand[] that performs the
necessary action.

The beauty if this approach is that you can extend the menu system as much
as you like!

David Bailey (Work db at salford-software.com)

Salford Software