Re: Mathematica 3.0 and Visual Basic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17247] Re: Mathematica 3.0 and Visual Basic
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 02:34:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 26 Apr 1999, Petr Benes student wrote:

>     I need call Mathematica 3.0 through Visual Basic for Applications.
> How can I connect the kernal and communicate with the Kernal through
> VB?

An example of a simple front end written in Visual Basic can be found in
the MathLink Developer's Kit that comes with the professional version of
Mathematica 3.0.  If the kit was installed as part of the Mathematica
installation process, it should be found in the directory that is obtained
by evaluating the following expression in the Mathematica kernel

ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns", "MathLink", "DevelopersKits",
  $SystemID}]

If this directory does not exist, you can install the kit by rerunning the
Mathematica 3.0 installer application, specifying a custom installation
that installs only this kit.

The Visual Basic example can be found in the "UnsupportedGoodies"
subdirectory of the developer's kit.

If you are using Mathematica for Students, then the MathLink Developer's
Kit is not on your CD-ROM.

	http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Student/Differences.html

You will need to contact Wolfram Research Technical Support

	http://www.wolfram.com/support/info.html

for information on how to obtain this kit for your platform.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.                  http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/