Re: Notebooks as Forms for input

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19066] Re: Notebooks as Forms for input
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:34:54 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 2 Aug 1999, Sortech Limited wrote:

> I have been looking around for documentation on programming the Mathematica
> interface. It looks like Stephen Wolfram got bored writing that part of the
> book and decided to concentrate on less commercial aspects!

In all fairness, _The Mathematica Book_ does state that the examples are
not chosen for their commerical applicability.  Quoting from section at
the beginning of the book titled "The Scope of the Book":

| You should understand, however, that the examples in this book are
| chosen primarily for their simplicity, rather than to correspond to
| realistic calculations in particular application areas.
| There are many other publications that discuss Mathematica from the
| viewpoint of particular classes of applications. In some cases, you may
| find it better to read one of these publications first, and read this
| book only when you need a more general perspective on Mathematica.
| Mathematica is a system built on a fairly small set of very powerful
| principles. This book describes those principles, but by no means spells
| out all of their implications. In particular, while the book describes
| the elements that go into Mathematica programs, it does not give
| detailed examples of complete programs. For those, you should look at
| other publications.

> The Loan.nb pointed out by Paul Hinton is a pointer to what can be
> achieved but I cant see how to program it from what is in The Book.
> Is there a good text out there which guides the user to producing Notebooks
> that look like Forms so that they can be used to generate Reports in
> Notebooks?

For programming the front end and creating dialog boxes, you may want to
refer to John Novak's talk materials from the 1998 Worldwide Mathematica

For creating formatted output, see John McLoone's notebooks from the same

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.