Re: Any book for the frontend?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19053] Re: Any book for the frontend?
  • From: paulh at (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:34:45 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <7o5gk8$rj6 at>, "Kwankyu Lee" <leekk at> writes:

>I want any book about Mathematica frontend for Windows.
>I have difficulty in customizing the frontend and notebook.

What do you mean by "customize"?

Users who report troubles with customization run into troubles
because they are not aware of the scopes at which settings
may apply.  They spend their time tweaking the Option Inspector
with the scope set to "global", but their efforts are in vain
because the setting they are trying to modify is actually set
at the style sheet or notebook levels.

Be sure to read Section 2.8.10 of _The Mathematica Book_ (Third
or Fourth Edition), namely the section titled "Styles and the
Inheritance of Option Settings."

If you can post some specific, precise statments of the things
you want to modify, we may be able to suggest some ways of
getting it done.  There are a number of specific examples on
the Wolfram Research Technical Support FAQ site

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.