Re: Mathematica input from graphics tablets?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19088] Re: Mathematica input from graphics tablets?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:35:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have spoken with a number of Mathematica users -- myself included --
who would love _some_ sort of interactive graphical input.  For example,
being able to click two points and have Mathematica return the graphics
Line object joining the two as result (or as part of the entire graphics
object created by additional clicks, etc.) and, as a side effect,
displaying the line segment as well.

One could imagine (dream of) additional capabilities, e.g., getting a
circular arc by specifying endpoints and center; a Bezier curve from
control points, etc.

A GENERAL input mechanism would seem to be the way to go here.  That is,
one way to input the points would be directly by clicking into a
notebook cell; another, obviously requiring an additional interface,
would allow graphics tablet input.

I hesitate to suggest that Mathematica should itself consist of
everything _including_ the proverbial "kitchen sink" (sorry for the
American English idiom here).  But this is one thing that seems to
obvious to want to include.  Right now, having to translate from a
"real" graphics program that allows interactive graphical input seems an
unwelcome complication; so does laying out the configuration of lines or
curves on graph paper, reading off the coordinates, and then manually
entering the corresponding Mathematica graphics object.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515